Eureka! I Have Found It!

The Sugar Shack in Huntington Beach. Word on the street has it that this is where to go for breakfast.  The locals eat there.  According to our server, customers start arriving around 5:00 am every day.

I have always liked the idea of going out for breakfast more than the actual experience, much to Tori’s chagrin. Once, on a rare early morning drive on PCH we found a place in Sunset Beach (at least I think it was Sunset Beach) where I actually, truly, enjoyed my breakfast.  I still remember the exquisite hollandaise sauce.  With this rare exception–well, ok, breakfast at Denny’s on the way to LAX in Jan. was fairly decent, along with breakfast at that one place in Spokane that used to be a train–I am usually disappointed w/ my food.

Until my kindred spirit Beverlee took me to the Sugar Shack. First of all, it’s at the beach–on Main Street at PCH and a very short walk to the pier. This alone would have made me agree to go there. Second, they are locally owned, affordable and known for their breakfast and lunch. Third, the locals eat there. Triple threat!

Where the surfers all go

On Thursday, May 5, 2011, The Sugar Shack nailed it for me.  I ordered the half Keppler’s, which is basically scrambled eggs benedict with avocado, bacon and tomato accompanied by hash browns.  Here’s the catch: I asked for a poached egg, hold the English muffin, and extra crispy hash browns. THEY GOT IT RIGHT AND IT WAS PERFECTLY COOKED!!! Perfectly cooked and delivered hot to my table in a timely manner!!! It was the most delicious restaurant breakfast I have ever eaten. I am still dreaming about that breakfast.

The Sugar Shack in Huntington Beach.  It’s where to go for breakfast.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Eureka! I Have Found It!

1. DC3 says:

Good to have you back blogging again!

I ate there once after going down to support a friend running in the marathon 2 years ago. Good stuff :)

2. gayla says:

Thanks, David!

3. Louis says:

I was so excited to see a blog from you! I want to try this place out now!

Also, when you get to CDA again I will have to introduce you to Michael D’s and to The Garnett Cafe. Lindsey and I absolutely love both places for breakfast, and you will too. 😉

4. Louis says:

And Rustler’s Roost! Dad will like that place especially.

5. gayla says:

How could we not love a place called Rustler’s Roost?! We dream about coming back to CDA all the time.

Louis, you will love the Sugar Shack. In addition to the food, you get the whole beach vibe. The HB High School Surfing Team eats there! There is a front patio and a back patio, and you have to write your name on a list which is on a clipboard, hanging where everyone can see it, in order to be seated outside. We are usually too impatient, so we eat inside. Our usual table is in the front by the window so we can see outside. There’s not a lot of space inside, and the walls are covered by pictures and articles of local and national surfers, historical pictures of HB, and in the hallway I’m pretty sure I saw a copy of the 10 Commandments posted on the wall.

6. Jenny says:

They also have a framed, signed picture of George Bush reading the NASB Bible hanging near the entrance.

7. lindswing says:

Jenny. If I weren’t related to you all ready, after that comment I would go to great lengths to make it happen.